Step-siblings &/or step-childrren?

How do you handle step-siblings &/or step-children? How are they entered and where?

For the step-child relationship, once you’ve attached a parent you can modify what kind of relationship it is.

You go into the edit person screen for the child, select the ‘Parents’ row and then update the relationship type. (See below screen capture.)

1 Like

@KimberlyGreen did a great job of telling you how to do it BUT you need to know that RM does NOT SUPPORT step-parent/ step-child relationships nor adoption etc. :disappointed:.
In my hubby’s case, his Mom was married 4 times-- if I set up my database as above, my hubby then has 4 FATHERS listed in the Kinship List ( instead of 1 Father and 3 spouse of wife)-- that also means that hubby also has a whole bunch of GRANPARENTS and AUNTS AND UNCLES ( from the step-fathers) - the Relationship Calculator shows FATHER/SON relationship for hubby and his 3 stepfathers (as well as extra Grandparents etc)-- the narrative reports will also list hubby as a child of the stepfathers-- That’s the bad news…
Now the good news is that it will show up on the child’s page ( not the step-parents) page on Ancestry–adoption does also

Might want to consider using just a Customized Fact and share it or a Customized Association when they get it set up right as Associations will not transfer in a gedcom or drop and drag right now–so it won’t show up on Ancestry BUT a Customized Fact will show up if uploaded thru a gedcom-not sure abt Tree Share…

edit-sorry forgot to say that if you share a fact-- on Ancestry the fact does not show up on the page of the person you shared it with–just the principal person…

Thanks for the info.

Next question: How do you handle different name spellings for the same person?
Example: Miller (english) vs Mueller (german). You can find references to the same person in different sources with different spellings.

Add alternate name facts for various spellings.

Didn’t realize that Miller was a version of Mueller @DLPolzin – Thanks for the info…
As I think our goal is to pass our research onto family and others and save them from wasting as much times as we have figuring out all this stuff–
Besides making an alternate name fact, I would also go into general notes listing all the alternate names and how you determined this was the same person-- meaning I have a Rapp ancestor who was recorded as Raab on the marriage, Crape in the census and Krapp when he died 3 years later–lots of explaining done here…

You also need to decide WHICH name you want to use as the alternate
for example my uncle’s given name was Henry James which he used on all legal documents ( including part of his kid’s birth cert) until the close of WWII-- then he used James Henry ( including the rest of the kids birth cert) on all legal docs except his death certificate has Henry James because he was in the military–so I listed his name as James Henry and used Henry James as the alternate with years attached to the fact and of course an explanation…
When totally unsure ( or if I don’t want to forget as it’s hard to remember everybody) or seems totally far fetched, I will list both names in the given or surname field such as Okey Waggoner ( mother’s surname) who became Okey Squires as an adult( father’s surname) listed as Okey Waggoner Squires–just keep in mind that in the index, he will be listed as Squires, Okey Waggoner …
hope it helps