Splitting and Combining Files

Since this is my first post, I wish members of the forum a healthy and prosperous New Year.

I want to merge a completed tree I have been working on with an existing one. In RootsMagic 7, I could open both trees side by side on one screen and then move individuals or lineages from one tree to the other. If I try doing the same process in RootsMagic 8: the newly opened file completely covers the existing window! I know I could resize the boxes to make them fit on one screen, but that seems like extra work when this feature worked so well in RootsMagic 7. So what have I missed?

I don’t think you have missed anything, this is the RM8 works by opening a new window. As you say just resize the windows.

On mac there are inexpensive apps that handle window resizing well: Magnet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m a Windows guy, so I looked for a Magnet alternative. I found DisplayFusion, which allows me to open 2 tree files, 1 on the right side of the screen and the other on the left side. I downloaded the pro version of the program, which will revert to the free version after 30 days. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I can use this feature at the end of the trial period.

The Windows OS is pretty good at window management by itself and you might just need to google how to show 2 file windows at half size. Windows does 3 things better than Mac: window management, dpi command to increase text size everywhere and no one knows what the 3rd is except perhaps catching malware.

If I google what you suggested and find I could have done it through Windows I’m going to feel really stupid.:slight_smile:

Good to find 2ways to do something &choose the best.

Windows Logo Key+Left Arrow OR Windows Logo Key+Right Arrow

You beat me to it. I tested it and it works. Thanks to all.

Call me stupid.;