Source/Citation Transfer from RootsMagic to TreeShare for Ancestry

TomH,

I did a TreeShare download of my Ancestry tree into a new RM8 database as you suggested. The source type it created in the new RM8 file was an Ancestry Record with the Title and Source Name and Citation Name and Detail headings matching the corresponding Source Information Title and Citation information Detail in the Ancestry tree. The Author, Publish Place, Publisher, and Publish Date fields, all part of the Ancestry Record template, are all blank. Also, the Detail Comment in RM8 came directly from the Citation information Other information heading in the Ancestry tree.

However, when I print a Narrative Report from RM8, the created footnote has converted the entire Title field to italics and it added (N.p.: n.p., n.d.) to the end because the Publish Place, Publisher, and Publish Date fields are all blank. It also starts with a comma because there is no Author. And of course, none of the Citation Detail contains any italics formatting because that was stripped during the TreeShare transfer to Ancestry tree done originally. That is another TreeShare issue that probably requires modifications from the Ancestry side. And the RM report settings need to be modified to include the notes. But the main thing is, all of the information can be transferred to and from an Ancestry tree, just not formatted as cleanly as I had hoped. It also means modifying all potentially long RM source/citation templates to have one source field and one citation detail field. Then include what I call the 2nd and 3rd citation layers to the citation note field.

Yup. Old story from 2017 that the highly responsive development team has yet to do anything about. For an interim (how long is anybody’s guess now that 4 years have passed) workaround, see:
https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/ancestry-treeshare-impact/#Correction-of-the-Flawed-Ancestry-Record-Source-Template-RM75-RM8

Tom,
Jean Paul Sartre once said that not making a decision is making a decision. Perhaps the development team uses this philosophy when deciding/not deciding which issues to respond to.

Rich