RootsMagic App Alternative

From the GedStar website re the Android version:

You must have your device settings configured to allow installation of apps from “Unknown Sources.”

The default setting is to block anything other than apps in the Google Play store or phone maker’s store.

Conversely if Roots Magic is your sole location for your research, what then happens if RM becomes defunct.

Ancestry and the other online providers are much more likely to remain in business.

At least with online trees they will remain accessible as long as your access info is known to family so that they can take on the family mantle.

I used to use TMG … until they went defunct. I still had the application and could continue using it.
I made a backup of my file and also exported as a Gedcom.
I could them import the TMG file into Roots Magic, so there would not be a problem if RM went defunct, as other programs could either import its files or import as a Gedcom. (My backup program is Family Historian, and this will read a Gedcom from RM with no issues)

Family Historian will also import directly from RM7-9 (Renee, sorry for mentioning a competitor, but it is pertinent to this ongoing conversation.)

1 Like

I didn’t say it was my sole location. However some people do not wish to put their data into Ancestry hands, for whatever reason. Yet, there are some that want to keep flogging the Ancestry app as the next great thing since the RM app is pretty much dead. For those that do not wish to put information on Ancestry, the app is not a legit substitute.

Personally, I am not that worried if Rootsmagic the company should happen to fall on hard times. It will not stop the program from functioning, at least long enough to pull my data into some other option. Since I can still run the RM predecessor, Family Origins, one a Windows 10 machine, I am pretty certain that RM7 will continue to run well into the 2030’s. By then, I am probably going to be too old to screw with genealogy anymore.