RootsMagic-7 won't download to Mac

I tried to download RootsMagic-7 to my Mac OS 10.11 and received an popup error saying it’s for Mac-OS 10.13 or later. But in the RM-7 description it for Mac-OS 10.8 - 10.15. So is the Mac RM-7 download description incorrect?

RootsMagic will have to provide you with the definitive answer but from the pop-up message, it would appear that the “wrapper” is a slimmed-down version of CrossOver version 20, which does indeed only support 10.13 (High Sierra) to 11 (Big Sur). From what I can remember, that seems about correct and is why there is no support for 12 (Monterey) or 13 (Ventura).

I can’t recall what version of CrossOver the earliest version of the “wrapper” was built on, but if you could locate a copy of that, it might have supported 10.11. Installing that and then updating RM7 within it MIGHT get you going - or might not, of course. The CrossOver website doesn’t go that far back, but it looks like version 18 would have supported 10.11.

Bruce last paid for the RM7 wrapper for Mojave (10.14.6) so it will not work on later mac os versions (big sur…monterey…ventura). RM7 and 8 are both now unsupported programs. All support and bug fixes will be for RM9. People on Windows can run RM7 until an OS change breaks it but Microsoft takes years to develop a new OS.

Contact support@rootsmagic and we can give you a link to download the version with an earlier wrapper. Once that is installed you can download the last update for RM7.

2 Likes

It is more likely that FamilySearch or Ancestry will break some functionality in RM7, long before Windows will.

Thanks everyone, I’ll try your suggestions
Take care