Proposal for treeshare improvement

Responding to RussHart’s comment on ‘abolish update screens,’ I see that RM9 has reintroduced the ‘update all’ option dropped in RM8. I apologise for missing that. Even so, my point still stands. When I go to an item that has been updated and click on the action sign, I see this.

I would like to trigger the update of all the attributes associated with the person’s name by selecting ‘update existing name in RootsMagic’. Ancestry is my master file; why would I ever not want to update everything? If RM were my master file, why would I not want to update everything in Ancestry?
Instead, I get to the ‘update screen’, where I have to click to update all and ‘OK’, two more clicks.
My main objective is to make treeshare much more usable by reducing the number of clicks very significantly (target reduction >90%), so why would I not want to cut these unnecessary clicks out?
As I wrote in the original post, an alternative solution that would accommodate people who want the ability to update items individually, would be for the original screen to give me three options, one which would add the item in Rootsmagic as new, one that would open the current update screen and one that would mark all aspects of the item to be updated as if I had opened the screen, chosen to update all and clicked OK.
I can’t see any disadvantages to doing this, and I don’t think that it would be difficult to do.

Alan

1 Like