Place Fields: Name vs Standard

What is the primary purpose of using the Place “Standard” field? At least, how are folks using it?

The regular Place Name shows up on sentences. If that seems too long for a narrative, Place Abbrev seems the mostly likely way to shorten in specific sentences. Then, how is the Place Standard used?

On the YouTube video “Places and Locations in RootsMagic 8”, Bruce Buzbee says that if you don’t want the full detail in the Name field, then you can put the full name in the Standard field.

So: If I change Place Name to “Atlanta, Fulton, Georgia” and I put the “Atlanta, Fulton, Georgia, United States” in the Standard field, when does that Standard field come into play? How does it filter into other program functions?

Here is how I use the place fields. The Place record has two place names (name and standard) and set of coordinates. I use the Place name to designate the location cited in the fact as it was at the time of the event. So, for instance, my Colonial American facts/events prior to 1784 show the place and/or county and/or state referenced in the record along with British America. The Standard name is the full current location name, as displayed in the gazetteer, that is designated with the coordinates in the record. So in the narrative report, I want my locations to display the name as it was called at the time of the event. Many people and gen databases use locations with their current names so preferences are important in how the names are used. I have many fact references to locations in Virginia that are now in West Virginia. There are many locations examples in how the boundaries of counties changed.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the Standard Place Name in RM actually comes into play for any purpose other than that you can see it on the screen. If it actually can come into play in some other way, I would love to know what that other way is because I might be able to take advantage of it.

Agreed, thejerrybryan. It would be nice to know the original intention and how it interacts with the database.

As OleSeminole uses it, I believe he finds use from how he ties the Place Name form to the fact.

However, further use might forthcoming if we understood more about it.

It appears to be targeted for GEDCOM data interchange between genealogy programs (presumably for when the source program’s Place Name entry may challenge recognition by the destination programs) to correlate variation of naming for the same or very close place.

0 _PLAC Anson, Somerset, Maine
1 MAP
2 LATI N44.7983300
2 LONG W69.8897200
1 STND Anson, Somerset, Maine, United States

I believe we also send the standardize place name when sharing with FamilySearch Family Tree.