Multiple Primary Name "Facts"

After using Ancestry TreeShare in RM 8.1.8 in Windows, I have noticed multiple primary name entries that are created when importing data in Ancestry TreeShare. Since primary name entries are not “facts” I’ve not found a way to change several of these to Alternate Name Facts or even delete them.

Does someone know of a simple way to eliminate multiple Primary Name entries?

The only way I’ve found to correct the entry has been to create a “dummy” Alternate Name Fact, then click on the “primary” box to make the dummy name, the primary name. When I do that Rootsmagic changes all of the other primary name entries to Alternate Name Facts leaving the dummy name fact as the Primary Name entry. I then select the desired name in one of the Alternate Name entries and select the primary box. RootMagic then sets the primary name to the one I want and leaves all others as Alternate Names facts. I then delete the “Dummy” Alternate Name Fact. Sorry for the long explanation. See the example below of three primary name entries.

Capture

That’s really the only way to do it. Create or mark an Alternate Name currently listed as Primary. Then the two Primary names will become Alternate Names. From there you can select which alternate name you want to mark primary.

Thanks Renee for the clarification. Fortunately, this condition happens rarely.

I have just had this problem for the first time that I am aware of, after having used Treeshare very intensively for some years, first in RM7 and for the past 6 months in RM9.

It occurs if I add a replicate a person from Ancestry to RM, then create a new alternate name in Ancestry, keeping the previous primary name, and then switch the names in Ancestry.

I then get this screen in Treeshare

I never get an option to amend the previous primary name into an alternate name and the
screen stays unchanged, even after I have chosen to add the new primary name; it looks as if the change has not been applied, so the temptation is to do it again.

After doing so, I get the following in RM9’s edit person screen

I have fixed the problem in my tree using the procedure outlined by @OleSeminole above, but I think this process is absolutely repeatable and seems to be a bug which should be fixed,

Confirming issue has been reported to development.

Thanks @rzamor1.

As usual I need more characters for my post.