Is there any max limit for the size of the GEDCOM file or RootsMagic file?

I try to create RootsMagic file from a larger GEDCOM file. The size is 32631KB (1203522 lines).
Always after about 10 seconds it gives me error “Access violation at address 00000000006D458E in module ‘RootsMagic.exe’. Read of address 0000012CFFFFFFFB”. If I try again the first address may be different like 0000000000A1458E, but the second one is always the same.
Version of RootsMagic is 9.1.3.0. running on Windows 11 pro, 64bit.

What’s the source of the GEDCOM file? I don’t think its size is the issue.

You could/should submit it to Support to see if they can replicate your problem. If so, maybe the developers will have something to chew on. While access violations are not rare with RM9, reports in this context are.

Run all the Tools, D&D to new file and then try to create a gedcom of a smaller selection (maybe 1/2 and see what happens) to isolate the error. If it works, do the other 1/2. Knew a guy who had to split his file a bunch to find it.

1 Like

I think you misunderstand the statement of his problem. He cannot import the GEDCOM (from a source he has not reported) into RM9 so there is nothing to drag’n’drop or on which the database tools can run.

I created GEDCOM from RM9. GEDCOM has size 30164KB (1093041 lines), I modified GEDCOM adding new lines (110481 new lines). Now GEDCOM has size 32631KB (1203522 lines). I did the same before, but with a little bit smaller file and it was working. That’s why believe I may hit the maximum size of memory which RM9 allocates for this process.

P.S. I imported successfully the new GEDCOM into Family Tree Builder program (Handling of unrecognized tags - discard)

Just a cursory observation that each import of a GEDCOM file should result in a .LST file being created in the same directory as the .GED file if there was anything RootsMagic had problems dealing with in the structure or particular tags/contents of the import.

If you added exactly the same tags in the same structure and format as you did in your first successful import, then I might suspect size could be triggering your error. But it’s not necessarily the only possible cause. Do as @kbens0n suggests: examine the .LST file. It could give you some idea how far the import went.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Yep I read it without having enough coffee :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never paid an attention to .LST file. Yes, the .LST shows some errors, but when I export RM file to GEDCOM and without any change to import it back, the .LST also shows errors and a new RM is still created. Maybe adding more lines I created more errors and during import RM will reach “too many” errors and quits. Or depends on what kind of error. Some errors may be more harmful.

That is not normal. Should be only this:

GEDCOM Import Log -
File: starmanFrank.ged
Source program: RootsMagic
3 ADDR PO Box 495
4 CONT Springville, UT 84663
4 CONT USA
3 PHON 1-800-ROOTSMAGIC
3 WWW www.RootsMagic.com
Destination: RootsMagic
Date of file: 2 FEB 2024
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
Character set: UTF-8

The above would be with no errors.

1 Like

Repeating my question as your answer may help fellow users understand the process:

The followup would be for you to illustrate your GEDCOM changes with examples of before and after.

I don’t think that it’s size either, because I have a Charlemagne GEDCOM with 10 Million lines, more than 600,000 persons, and a size of 195 Million bytes, and that one imports just fine. That is a file that was once created with PAF.

When I export a similar file from Gramps, RootsMagic has no problems with it either, so the chance is that there is some inconsistency in it that triggers this exception in RM. And what that is, is quite hard to guess.

If you modified the GEDCOM by adding more than 100,000 lines, I think that it is quite likely to have some inconsistencies like duplicate keys, or ones that can’t be found, and that sort of things can probably be found by importing it into another genealogy program, or a specialized GEDCOM analyzer. And if you know where to look, PAF is still available, and fast, so that you can try what happens if you import the file into that, and export it again.

Well, obviously the size should not be the issue. I am still not sure what could be wrong with syntax of GEDCOM, but I found some text with characters which are out of UTF-8. Probably during importing process RM may have problem to read completely GEDCOM and ends up in loop or skipping next line(s), which may cause syntax problem. I will try to “clean” the text and see.
The reason, why I believe this is info in .LST file

GEDCOM Import Log -
File: heritage.ged
Source program: RootsMagic
3 ADDR PO Box 495
4 CONT Springville, UT 84663
4 CONT USA
3 PHON 1-800-ROOTSMAGIC
3 WWW www.RootsMagic.com
Destination: RootsMagic
Date of file: 2 FEB 2024
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
Character set: UTF-8
1 NAME Frank F Starman
1 _EMAIL star

There is no list of errors, but the last line
1_EMAIL star
is cut in the half.

While I was searching for non UTF-8 characters I found a syntax error which will bring import GEDCOM into RM in loop and problem with memory.
Thank you to everybody. with any ideas.
I have learned about .LST file and I don’t need to be afraid to add a couple thousand new people in my tree.

1 Like