How does rm10 create citation names?

Most of my citation name after conversion from rm7 to rm10 are blank.
How do I get a usable citation name created in rm10?

for clarification – do you use GEDCOM or did not direct load/open RM 7 database in RM10?

The RM10 data I am looking at came from direct conversion RM7 to RM8 to RM10.
I will be doing direct conversion from RM7 to RM10 when I do the final conversion, although I would be interested in what values are used in the GED conversion also.

Screenshots of the onscreen citation names in each version seems like a start. Do they have any special characters at the beginning?

I am not aware of how to find citation names in RM7.
As I said citation names in RM8 and RM10 are blank.

Ok, I misunderstood… I was thinking “became blank”. Citation naming is in here:

Thanks for the help pointer, but I’m not going to be using RM8 or RM9. I want to do what I can do in RM7 to give me good citation names in RM10.

Citation Names - Once again - RootsMagic - RootsMagic Community

Good discussion on citation names.
But it still does not tell me what RM7 to RM10 conversion uses to produce a citation name.
I think I would rather fill in values in RM7 prior to conversion, rather than going into RM10 and adding citation names. I might be able to use a macro to do the actual work on each citation.
In any case it will be a huge effort as I have over 65,000 citations in RM7.
I remember way back at the RM8 beta test time, that someone posted about the changes that he made in RM7 to give valid citation names in RM8. I think that the changes were relatively minor in RM7 but produced a good RM8 citation name rather than blanks.

The citation name is a compilation of all the citation fields when the RM7 database is imported into RM10. If you only used Master Source fields and no Citation fields in RM7 then nothing would be generated for a citation name.

Thanks so much for this information.
I guess I am up a creek, as I am a extreme source splitter, so have no citation fields in RM7.

Strictly speaking citation names are not required but are useful if you lump sources together.

If you are an extreme source splitter then I would assume most of your sources have only one citation. In that case the citation name should become somewhat superfluous.

Unless I am missing something.