Can I block data-enchange with Ancestry?

I don’t agree with Ancestry. They can freely take my data but I don’t get anything in return unless I buy a subscription for a ridiculous monthly payement. So I want to know if I can block the data-exchange.
I don’t want a company to sell my data.

2 Likes

Unless BOTH You are signed in AND You click the button Upload to new Ancestry Tree… none of your tree is made available for Ancestry to use.

2 Likes

I typed it wrong apparently. I assumed Ancestry and My Heritage is the same thing but apparently not. When I create a new family member or update a record a blue bulb is flashing. When i check what this is about I find that my record is copied to “my Heritage” but I have to pay to read my own entry. I want to know if i can block this.
I’m all for sharing but not for exploiting free data.

1 Like

Rest assured it is not copied. There is NO form of “kept” transfer of your family data between RM and MyHeritage. Potential matches are depicted but MyHeritage doesn’t have an API interface to accept any actual transfer of data records (only Ancestry and FamilySearch).

1 Like

@Labre This is one of my MY HERITAGE HINTS

IF you look on the left hand side above the picture, it says In My RootsMagic Tree— it’s just showing the info you have in your tree so you can quickly decide if the hints they are providing has additional info-- My Heritage doesn’t have access to this even if you did accept their hints…

1 Like

When you have MyHeritage WebHints enabled we will send a #hash of search terms to them when they appear in the pedigree or family view. That is what you see in the panel that says “In my RootsMagic tree” on their website. It’s basically like using the search box on their website. They don’t keep your search terms. If you don’t want to search on MyHeritage and receive WebHints from them then go to Settings, WebHints and uncheck the box to “Enable MyHeritage hints”.

3 Likes