Better Relationship Features

As I understand it, the Shareable Drive, allegedly with the included Media, is Read Only.

Whereas the RootsMagic To Go Drive is Interactive, so changes, additions and removals are possible.

Perhaps the Best Bet is to install both the Shareable Drive and RootsMagic To Go on the portable USB Drive. A Belt and Suspenders Approach… Not Needed?

The results of Set Relationship are stored for each individual in their single row in the PersonTable, not in a separste database. They are stored in two fields Relate1 and Relate2. I think Relate1 is the number of generations between the Primary person and the common ancestor while Relate2 is the number of generations from the common ancestor to the secondsry person. The same table stores the RIN, sex and general Note for that person, all of which are seachable in Person Search.

1 Like

Yes, the Shareable Drive is read only. It is meant to be used in cases where you are sending information to a relative who is not going to likely be updating it programmatically. RM to Go is meant to let you use the program for things such as research trips where RM may not be available on a library computer. You then bring the file home and use RM to Go to transfer the up[dated data back to your home system. Needing both on one USB drive isn’t really helpful. You should only need one or the other depending on who you are sending it to or where you are researching.

If you really want to get technical when it comes to software license agreements, you aren’t allowed to send off a drive with RM to Go to a relative for updating purposes as that relative doesn’t have a license to use your install of RM. If they have their own license, then you don’t need to send anything other than the datafile.

So it should be possible to build a table of relationships to a key person by iterating through each Indiv and storing the Relate1, Relate 2 and RIN, then performing a query on that table for a specific or range of relationships, with the result being a table of pointers to the Indivs satisfying the query parameters. (Ex: For all Indiv where Relate1 minus Relate2 is greater than x…)

Maybe possible but not remotely that simple… Which is probably why it doesn’t exist yet

Sorry, you assumed I meant relationships of everyone to everyone. I was only referring to those that get set when “Set relationships” is run to show what the are to one individual. My purpose if that I no longer want to track cousins that are more than 4th-degree to myself, and I already have a lot of them, so I want to remove them working from a list.

Just try to calculate how many levels of recursion this would entail. This would take a lot of programming, a huge table. And that table would have to be updated everytime a person was added or removed from the database.

Yes, it already exists within the PersonTable as I described. The key or primary person is assigned a code in Relate1 that translates to “self” and every relative calculated by Set Relationships gets a pair of values indicating the distances up to and down from the common ancestor while unrelated spouses can be identified through the related spouse in the FamilyTable.

You can see in more detail what we have interpreted as its workings at:
https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/relationships/

And here is an example of using the total distance (sum of Relate1, Relate2) as a measure of consanguinity to color code relatives accordingly:
https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/color-code-by-consanguinity-degree/

Both of these pages pre-date RM8 but do work with RM8, RM9 although the second does not exploit their extended color color codes.

Edit: corrections re unrelated spouse of relative and compatibility of scripts with post RM7 versions.

1 Like

Tom your scripts still do work in RM9.

1 Like

Has anyone uploaded their RM DB to Http://www.zoompast.com? I have and I like what I see. They show most blood and some non-blood relationships that I find especially intriguing and satisfying for my very basic needs.

One further note… You can see a list of all the people in the chain that links any two individuals. Very illuminating to see who among one’s ancestors is in that list.

Maybe RM 9 Development could consider doing something similar?

/Peter Damon

1 Like

Yes, I have been playing around with it. Too early to come to any conclusions or write a review yet.