Why isn't there a separate field for women's married names?

i just want to say for the Record, yes i am basically new to playing with RM especially RM8 i am still looking at it as a new user some, though years ago i tinkered with an earlier version i cant remember which one though.

My wife and i have played with ancestry.com much more… especially her… i have been looking for a good software program with the years of her research and work done… for her ancestry tree and such. even though she is in a clean up mode on her tree because of a screw up on tree merging she has 1 tree and it is very large with lots of people and images. So as for using RM8 consider me NEW…

I have been watching the webinars though to help me learn a few things or pick up a couple ideas of what software i want to share with my wife that we should get.

i have been working on my tree more these last few weeks and while watching my wife and picking things up from her i see that some stuff should have been adapted and included ages ago…

again i understand that times and programming knowledge has changed and updated, but that doesn’t take away what has been known for centuries about marriages and families…

i appreciate the image display as it helps me understand better, i am not that great with screenshots myself (doing them lol)

there is a lot that i sort of like about RM8 but some of my questions have not been answered through the videos… so ill have to ask here…

back to the alt field, is it wrong to say that i can add many alt fields where i need to? i may have to read your reply above again about HOWTO add the step alt field for say my mom and such… (see that can bee added to a FAQ Section with your screen shot as an example and a tiny bit more detail)

catch you soon
Mark

After reading through the discussion on this topic I am still sticking to my method until I find out why I don’t want to do it this way. I add the married to the suffix in ( ) that then lists the female as
Given, Surname/Maiden name, and (suffix/married name).
on my list of people, I have only one name for each person and no alternatives because the married name shows in parenthesis at the end of each female’s name. This helps me to know right away who the female “belongs” too, so my brain does not get too boggled.
I also add nicknames, both genders in " " beside formal given name so it is where I need to see it.
Call me crazy and maybe I’ll be sorry later but for now I see
Sarah “Sadie” Mansur (Chalifour)
one time on list with everything I need to know about her. It may mess up my research, but I have not seen this yet and I know instantly who she is.

I’d love feedback on why this is a bad idea.

Newer discussion here - Adding married names to females - #8 by LJC