Source template guidance for FS links

I’ve been collecting FamilySearch citations for my facts for years, and would really appreciate some guidance on what source template(s) to use and how best to cite.

The majority of my FS citations are collected using the “Copy Citation” button which is on most FS image pages. The resulting citation looks like this:

“North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970,” images, FamilySearch (FamilySearch.org : 21 May 2014), Chowan > Court Records, 1746-1755, Vol. 20 > image 92 of 130; county courthouses, North Carolina.

My practice pre-RM was simply to record the citation as-is, with automation to parse out the URL to use as a hyperlink; I wasn’t in the habit of downloading the images until starting with RM. I’m thinking of mimicking this by making a copy of the Basic Online Template, taking out the “Item*”, WebsiteCreator, and CreditLine fields and making URL a Citation field. URL must be in the Citation because it’s unique to the document image.

But, I think it would be better to have a Source for, using the example, “North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970”, and then individual citations on facts with the URL specific to that fact image. I don’t want a separate Source for every image, which I think will happen in the approach I described.

Suggestions? And apologies for the noob question; I’m learning by watching the webinars and experimenting, but hoping seasoned experts here can accelerate my education.

Thx!

1 Like

My favorite source template to use with the various websites is “Website (with multiple databases)”. I have my master source based on each collection within the website.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check that one out.

Hi, I agree you want to make 1 source with multiple citations (this is called ‘lumping’). I don’t have any probates but use the same practice for all my vital records. I have a generic ‘Vital Records’ template that I created which I use to create sources for each vital record collection on FS, Ancestry, FindMyPast or wherever (ie. “Marriages: US, New Jersey, 1678-1985 (FS)” - FS indicates is a FamilySearch source versus (A) for Ancestry). FS is the website for the source & I use the ‘Credit Line’ field to cite the original source if available. The citation records the specific information including the URL & a local image. With the citation looking like :
“Michigan, Marriages, 1868-1925”, Detroit, Wayne, MI, digital images, FamilySearch (familysearch.org : accessed 21 March 2023), image 389 of 636; page 36 (penned), item rec #133279, marriage of Bertha Spicer & Russell Lockwood, 19 July 1916; citing Secretary of State, Department of Vital Records, Lansing, MI.

This sounds similar to the approach I’d ideally like to follow. Can you post a screenshot of your source template, or a list of the fields you use?

Here you go:

1 Like