Rotate Media Function

Since I’ve seen a couple questions about rotated images I’ll add a feature request to be able to rotate images in the media viewer. I specifically rotated my pictures in a program outside of RM8 and RM8 still insists on rotating my landscape to portrait. A rotate function would be a nice addition.

1. any media manipulation such as rotate, crop, etc is best done in a photo app like mac Photos.
  2. A test with the same file rotated and dropped into media as a pdf and jpg:
    rotation stuck. the two file types could not be dragged in together but had to be dropped separately to add to media.
    deletion via the trash can icon failed for the pdf file but the 3 dot menu did work.

RM8 has a serious design flaw in being unable to recognize and handle all file types properly as media without manual user intervention. FTM 2019 has no problem with this.

it would be nice to have RM8 open a pic to be edited by said program we set up as a user so we dont have to do forget which pic we wanted to edit or such…

Mark

I HAD ASKED ABOUT THIS EARLIER AND HERE IS THE RESPONSE I GOT. IT APPEARS TO BE THE ONLY WAY TO ROTATE PICS RIGHT NOW! This is from Terry…

You might need to change the EXIF Orientation Flag in the image’s properties.

jdhao.github.io – 31 Jul 19

JPEG Image Orientation and Exif

The other day I came across a strange bug during work. My colleagues gave me some photographs taken with a smartphone. On their machines (Windows 7), all the photos were shown correctly in landscape mode. However, when I checked those photos, I found…

Some months ago I had a similar problem, I scanned a certificate in, rotated it using the Windows viewer and resaved it, but when I imported it into RM8 it was displayed Portrait rather than Landscape (which is what I wanted). I contacted Support and they said it was down to the EXIF Orientation Flag and I should use “IrfanView” … https://www.irfanview.com/ to rotate and save the image (thus altering the EXIF flag).

This worked and I’ve been using it since. It is a bit of a faff that you have to take this additional step in order to get the image to display in the desired orientation in RM8, but at least the “IrfanView” application is free.

Since using this to re-orient all my images I have had no further problems.

1 Like

Seems to be a Windows only problem. If I rotate a jpg or pdf in mac Preview or Photos that orientation sticks. Does this problem happen with PDFs as well as JPGs? I use PDFs for most media since it displays much better in Mac Preview than inside RM8.

Only noticed it in jpg’s (the format that Ancestry seems to want to download documents in).