RM9 Performance speed

Good call, Tom.

Surely a very valid enhancement request that could be extremely useful in indicating that things have gone wrong. Renee?

Itā€™s so interesting to compare systems. Mine is an even older, more basic 5-yr-old Dell Inspiron. Still runs my small RM9 file fast enough, though.

I found it was the RAM on my machine more than the processor or disk speed. I still have an old mechanical hard drive (no SSD) and slower processor. I had only 6 MB of RAM. When I upgraded to 32 MB of RAM, all my files access and apps that opened databases began opening much faster.

Thatā€™s what makes me wonder if he moved his RM9 DB to another machine, fix his DB problems (no matter how long they take) then move his DB back to his main machine, if that wouldnā€™t fix his problems.

Reference-
RM v9.0.3 launch = 4.8 sec
File open = 3.15 sec

Above file -
people 2776
media items 829
file size 13.0 MB (13,713,408 bytes)

Computer info (from SystemInformation.exe)
OS Name|Microsoft Windows 11 Home|
Version|10.0.22621 Build 22621|

System Manufacturer|Dell Inc.|
System Model|Inspiron 3470|

System Type|x64-based PC|
Processor|Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)|

Hi Richard

I didnā€™t move the DB to another PC. The problem that I was had was the same when the DB was on either my i9 Desktop or i7 NoteBook. As mentioned in an earlier message the issue was 3 million + erroneous records in the TaskTable and 23,703,020 records having a TASKID = 0 in the TaskLinkTable. Once the erroneous deleted all was fine an a recompacted DB dropped in size from 1.3GB to 30MB

In fact on my Desktop (Windows 11 Pro (22H2) on an Intel(R) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz processor, 32GB Ram and SSD) RM9.0.3.0 now opens in 5.2secs and the DB loads in 2.47 secs.

Interesting thread. Just the obvious, you use RM data tools? Rebuild indexes, delete phantom records ect. So far those have not screwed up my databases. It does seem to help with loading and searching speeds.

I probably could, but I donā€™t mess around with the RM backend :slight_smile: Just like I only download an Ancestry GEDCOM to start a new RM file. I may do selective exports from that file to import into another RM database. I think the Ancestry Share is really neato, but where is the Ctrl+Z in RM after I realize a week ago I created 100 mistakes. Yeah, old school that goes back to Family Origins, listserves and modems.

I am not on the same number of media items (a mere 2,000, for 10,000 people) as others in this thread. I did notice a big slowdown in the backup when I check the save media box.

Did you check the backup with media after you finally created it? I think you will find that any folder structure that you have for storing your media will be gone. For example, if you had subfolders for family names, or record type or whatever other organization you use, they are now going to be dumped into one folder without the subfolders that you so carefully created. There is absolutely no reason to ever backup with media. Media can always be backed up by itself and still maintain any file structure.