Relationship to Father

@dcslatter I have tons of W VA kids ( dating back to 1849) whose parents were not married–
doesn’t matter if the father is UNKNOWN or if I list his name-- what I do in the Marriage Fact is put NEVER MARRIED in the PLACE FIELD-- that way it shows up on the family page–you can put it in the PLACE DETAILS and it will say in the fact sentence that they were married at NEVER MARRIED but it will NOT show up on the family page ( this sentence could be changed or a NOT MARRIED fact used if you know how to DEFINE the sentence)-- by having it on the family page, that way I know that I have already proven they were never married instead of I have found their marriage yet — on an unknown spouse that I know they were married, I always put the marriage as ABT 1 year before 1st known child was born–so I can tell who was married…

Now as for FATHER, if you wish there are other options on the EDIT PERSON page when you click on PARENT BUT the options there are better for a stepfather, adopted parents or significant other who raised the child. and unfortunately probably only show up in the facts if you print a report…

Also on the EDIT PERSON page, when you click on SPOUSE, there are other options-- husband, father, partner and other-- if you select PARTNER then on the Family page, it will say PARTNER above his name on the family page and MOTHER above her name ( if you do NOT change it on her EDIT page UNDER spouse)–it will also say PARTNER’S PARENTS on the family page-- this however only changes the info on the family page when you go to the child’s family page, it still says FATHER even if ADOPTED!!!

It’s just easier for me to see the NEVER MARRIED THAN THE PARTNER!!!