How do I delete Multiple Family Entries after a Merge without deleting them completely from the data base.
Hi Beryl
for the community to know what is going on – first you should start with what version you are using . Two it might be a little unclear how you merged them and if it is the cause of all of the duplicates. If possible – posting a screen often is very helpful in understand what is going to on so give best direction for you scenario
For comparing potential multiples of people… change Number to display setting to RIN.
People with identical RIN are merely doubly-linked NOT distinct duplicates in the database. People with differing RIN numbers constitute distinctly different people in the database.
I would just do a Restore.
How did you do the Merge? 2 different RM files, if so, color code all the people in one of them prior to merge.
Turn on RIN.
Decide if they are truly duplicates.
Sorry new to this set up please forgive an old lady! I use RM11 I have used RM since version 7. I was trying to ask in the index I have found double entries for People. I must add RM10 completely lost my FH and RM could not find any up to date back ups, so I am starting to re-enter unfortunately I have now found I have a few doubles. If I delete the double it wipes both records from the data base. If I merge I the end up on the page where you enter their birth etc with their parents entered twice on different Numbers. In Settings the numbers are set at RIN .Can I remove them without losing all the information.
It sounds like the Parents are candidates for a Merge.
Do your duplicates have a plus sign in front of their name in the index? If so, that would be an alternate name fact for the person. To remove them you open the Edit Person screen and delete there.
That is what I have done but the the son/daughter has the same set of parents entered twice. if I delete the set with the highest number it wipes them both from the data base
You need to UNLINK the child from parents which will leave just 1 set of parents.
If you have duplicate family records and have attached children, citations etc., then you may be interested in a utility I wrote to keep all of your data but remove the duplicate family records.
A duplicate family record symptom is duplicate entries in the couples listings having identical RINs.
Thank you Everyone for your most helpful replies which, when I have a quiet moment I will put into practice as I don’t want to create any further problems. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I will certainly keep looking now at this site for any hint or tips. I find the more RM is updated it does cause me problems at times. At 87 technology does get harder to conquer,
You might consider sticking with whichever version you’re comfortable with. I’ve tried 8, 9, 10, and 11 and still stick with version 7. I’m 85 and it is harder and harder to learn new things. Unfortunately, genealogy seems not to be interesting to young people who are preoccupied with raising children, jobs, and making a life. It is retirees who chart families, and we are slower at everything!
Thank you Ruth I had considered trying to revert back to an earlier edition but I would not have a clue how to go about it and would I loose all my information?
I’m not sure, but the first thing I’d try is to export everything to a gedcom file, then try to import it to the earlier version. Don’t delete the newer version until you’re sure everything imported correctly and nothing was left out. Exported ged files work when importing them to newer versions, but I haven’t tried doing it the other way.
