Moving from Dropbox

Good point. And while one might move the media files elsewhere and fix the broken links, all new media will download to the original sub-folder below the database file. Given that it’s risky having the database file in DropBox, how does one get the default media folder onto DropBox or other cloud storage?

One way is to move the default media folder to the DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive … area and replace it with a virtual folder of the same name (datebasename_media) that links to the ‘real’ folder. That would readily sync the media files to the cloud and to another device, much more transparently and labour-free than any other way. Database sync is another matter entirely but, however accomplished, having an identically named virtual folder below the database and pointing to that devices cloudsynced media folder should result in unbroken media links for that database copy in RM8 because of its support for a form of relative addressing.

That leaves open the question of syncing the database file when Tech Support advises against it being in a cloud-synced folder. The lowest risk exception I would take to that advice is to use OneDrive which is the only one, to my knowledge, that has been demonstrated to be aware when the sqlite database engine in RootsMagic and other applications has access to the file and automatically suspends syncing. In which case, there is no need for the virtual folder pointing to some other cloud-synced location; the TreeShared media folder will be in OneDrive.

So that’s a “belt” backup solution for both database and media; lots of other choices for the “suspenders”…

Actually, Dropbox allows you to recover a file for rather a long time after you have deleted it. The deleted file is far from instantly gone.

I agree that Dropbox’s focus is on sharing rather than on backup, but it does serve a backup function. I wouldn’t recommend it as your only backup, and I have additional backups beyond Dropbox. But most of the time I do get back files that I need back via Dropbox.