Making changes in tree imported from FamilySearch

Hello. I just started using RM8 yesterday. I imported my tree from FamilySearch and I just realized that there are two many generations attached by someone else to one of my ancestors. I would like to delete those extra ancestors which are not documented just in my own tree in RM, without changing anything in FS. How can I do that? Thanks in advance for your tips.

How to Delete People

1 Like

You can right click on a person to unlink from parents and spouses. Once you trim off the lines you don’t want, do a drag n drop into a new database selecting "Everyone in the same tree as (name).

http://wiki.rootsmagic.com/wiki/RootsMagic_8:Dragging_and_Dropping_People

1 Like

Thank you! The thing is, they are too many people that were added randomly by someone else in FamilySearch. I think it’ll be faster if I just delete the whole thing, unlink those people in FamilySearch and then upload to RootsMagic again.

Just a simple caution. Best practice is to perform a File->Backup before embarking on your edits.

2 Likes

Thank you! The thing is, they are too many people that were added randomly by someone else in FamilySearch. I think it’ll be faster if I just delete the whole thing, unlink those people in FamilySearch and then upload to RootsMagic again.

FamilySearch is a collaborative tree. That is why many people are “randomly” adding to it. You don’t want to unlink individuals there to “trim your tree”. If you have to do any unlinking then do it in your own database afterwards.

1 Like

Renee,
That is why I consider the database on my local hard drive to be my master. Sure, I use FamilySearch, but I do extensive source gathering before I add anything to my master. I don’t upload and download to FamilySearch because there are a lot of “researchers” adding to it who have no clue as to what good genealogical practices and standards are.

I know that probably puts me in the minority, but at least I know that my database is fact and not mythology, fiction or someone else’s wishful thinking.

2 Likes

I will join you in that minority. Everything in my database has been added manually. I don’t download anything from anywhere.

2 Likes

Same here. RootsMagic is command central so I can interact with both FamilySearch and Ancestry.

3 Likes

Thank you, I did so. Some of the ancestors linked to my tree were either born after their supposed descendants or, in one case, 280 years before!

The reason I downloaded from Family Search is because that’s the only software I’ve used so far. But from now on, I’ll join the minority and keep my master tree as clean and documented as possible. That’s why I purchased RM8.

4 Likes