Living unchecked by default

Hello,

I can’t find how to set Living as unchecked by default. 99% of the individuals I add are deceased and having to uncheck Living gets annoying.

Thanks for any help.

If you are entering a death event for the new person that you are adding then the living flag automatically unchecks - also if the person is over a certain age (I forget the actual number) like 105 then the Living is automatically unchecked. Obviously you have to have a birth event for that one to work.

2 Likes

Further, I don’t think that they will introduce a default uncheck for security reasons in case you DO have some living people (1%) and upload your database to another place.

1 Like

@Terry Thank you for the information. I’m aware that living need to be checked for security reasons, but easier to check the few than uncheck the many.

1 Like

Data Protection rules wont see it that way though

2 Likes

Hello, the topic of the unchecked Living box.
I asked about this in version 8 and was told it was a necessary feature.
In the last week I have added 200 DEAD people and not a single living person, they are hard to find in the 12th century.
In fact, is this box necessary at all.
If we have a Birth date then we should have a Death date, they are both displayed on the page, so if the person has ever lived you will have that date, if they have a Death date then we do not need the box.
I think it was Terry, with a fancy drop cap, who suggested that it was a security issue. In that case, do away with the check box completely.
Malcolm1

That’s a false premise.

Hi TomH.
I agree, but we are talking of general uses here.
If the person has had a life then they will probably have died if they have lived long enough.
As I said in my original submission, I am working in the 12th century, so most people will be dead by now.
I most cases the person entering the data will have (possibly), both a Birth and a Death date
I have just read somewhere that if you enter a Death date, then RM9 will automatically update the tick box.
(I have been with RM 8 since it started and am now on RM 9, sorry if that caused any confusion)
I have not seen this happen so that will be something to watch out for.
This is my first time on a BB of any sort so I hope I am following the correct protocol for this service.
Malcolm1

I would agree that the addition of a Birth date of more than 105-115 years prior to the current date should automatically uncheck/delete/omit the Living flag as that should be equivalent to adding a Death fact. That is a criterion in the user-initiated global Set Living tool (look it up in Help).

This is true, and it’s very handy. But it also seems to be the case that if you enter a birth date for someone that’s earlier than a default maximum age (110 years. or whatever), that will also automatically uncheck the “Living” box – even if you don’t enter a death date at all. I’m pretty sure that’s in the settings somewhere, but I can’t find it now. In any case, I have never had to explicitly mark someone as not-living. (And I have no living people in any of my datsasets, as a matter of policy.)

Thank you emkaysmith, I will have to watch out for that happening.
Regardsm Malcolm1

From the RM9 Help file

Living - set by default to living. If a birth date is over 105 years or a death fact is added the living flag will automatically be unchecked when saved.

Bold added by me

1 Like