How do i import media?

I’M NEW. WHILE i SEE THERE IS A DRAG AND DROP FEATURE, THAT IS PRETY TIME CNSUMING IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF PHOTOS TO IMPORT. IS THERE ANY OTHER METHOD?

1. your caps lock key is on.
  2. drag and drop will handle multiple files and file types at the same time.
  3. if moving from another program RM9 should be able to find and link to media already linked in that other program.

I understand drop and drag. But, when I typed in Google Photos, it couldn’t access the file (which is online). All of my photos are in Google photos (and are in albums by name), or FamilySearch. Can I access them directly or must I download them to a transfer file in my computer to be able to access them?

I think you may be partially out of luck. I don’t think RM handles URL addresses (such as Google shared files / photos) fully.

To test, I shared a test image and copied its Google share link. I then tried to attach that media to a person in RM. It returns an error:

If you have your Google photos already sync’ing to your local computer, you should be able to paste the file path that way. (That’s what I do for my media.)

Caveat: When you click the “Edit” button, it does open the media in a browser window. So RM just doesn’t seem to be able to generate thumbnail views for URL media.

1 Like

I think that is new relative to RM7.

Media images needs to be local to the computer to be used in reports, as thumbnails and to display as images. If you enter the URL to an image online in the Filename it will always show a broken media link icon. Clicking the Edit media item button can launch your browser though it really depends on the browser and website on what it allows. We don’t recommend storing URLs in the filename because they basically are not supported in the program and cannot be used successfully.

Your response sounds like RM isn’t set up yet to access online data. Please send a recommendation to get it set up. FamilySearch does it with Google Photos.

Pete

Familysearch is an online website not a computer application under your control. Using cloud services for your data is fairly risk and trusting compared to having that data on your local computer and backed up.

1 Like