This post is a summary description of those TAG elements of GEDCOM and corresponding data within an FTM created GEDCOM file that have been discovered to be rejected or misinterpreted following import of the file into RM9. My test database has 3000 individuals and 850 families.
I hope this information is useful and hope it can be added to with the experience of others. I do no claim it is exhaustive, bound to have omissions and errors.
With reference to GEDCOM Standard, I refer to version is v5.5.1 published in 2019.
A. Source of GEDCOM file: FTM 2019 implemented on Mac.
- Generated (exported) file is in standard GEDCOM v5.5.1 lineage linked format.
- Includes links to media files.
- Living people are not privatized.
- Includes privatized facts and notes.
- Places are geocoded.
- Includes citations, sources, repositories, notes.
The following FTM GEDCOM Standard compliance discrepancies have been discovered within generated file that might cause rejections (and data loss) on RM9 import:
FSID - Data payload is Family Search identifier for an individual within INDI record.
_INIT - LDS initiatory ordinance individual event structure within INDI record.
_LINK - Data payload is URL for web link within citation SOUR structure.
_MILT - Military service individual event structure within INDI record.
_FREL -Subordinate within child CHLD of family FAM record, payload is relationship to father.
_MREL - Subordinate within child CHLD of family FAM record, payload is relationship to mother.
Use of EVEN for individual custom attributes instead of FACT tag within INDI record.
Use of EVEN for individual nickname instead of NICK within formal name piece structure. E.g. 1 EVEN boris / 2 TYPE Nickname.
Overloaded use of PUBL publication data payload within source SOUR record. Multiple tag:data pairs possible separated by semi-colon. E.g. PUBL Name: ; Location: ; Date: .
Notes With Tables - Tables within notes are replaced with plain text, single row per table cell on export.
Research Notes Flagged as Private - FTM individual research notes are identified as private with use of _PRIV tag in note record.
B. Target of GEDCOM file: RM9 implemented on Mac.
- Have chosen to import raw (unmodified) GEDCOM file produced by FTM.
- Have chosen not to add an additional source for imported data for import.
- A new family database is created within RM9 with imported data.
- RM9 produced a corresponding .LST file which is a log of exceptions raised on import of file.
- An inspection of the .LST file and the subsequently created database via RM9 is basis for identifying potential data import issues such as data loss and misinterpretation.
Findings from analysis of .LST file:
- Geocoding of places with GEDCOM Standard MAP and subordinate LATI and LONG tags for PLAC identified as “Unknown info (line n…)” are rejected.
- Custom FTM tag FSID for individual family search identifier identified as “Unknown info (line n…)” is rejected.
- Standard tag RESN restriction notice identified as “Unknown info (line n…)” is rejected.
- Standard tag FORM within multimedia OBJE record identified as “Unknown info (line n…)” is rejected. Note that import file had this as “2 FORM xxx” at correct hierarchical level definition as per GEDCOM v5.5.1 standard.
- Custom FTM tag _DATE associated with OBJE record identified as “Unknown info (line n…)” is rejected.
Findings from analysis of new database via RM9:
- There are many examples of duplicate citations in the created database. This is due to fact that in original GEDCOM file, the same citation is duplicated if it had been linked to multiple facts within FTM, e.g. an individual baptism and birth. Additionally, there are duplicate links between citations and a referenced multimedia image file. Import logic of RM9 does not check for duplicate citations.
- [Separate issue] After perusing images, RM9 aborts with no warning message. Repeatable.
- GEDCOM file with use of EVEN for individual custom attributes (instead of FACT tag) interpreted as facts and added to individual detail information.
- Per previous point, use of EVEN for individual nickname has meant creation of a fact for Nickname appearing in Person Fact list yet when looking at Person Name window Nickname is empty.
- Places window shows empty longitude and latitude as a consequence of import rejection.
- No family search identifier shown with person facts understandably so given a consequence of import rejection.
- All sources imported into Source Type: Free Form. As a consequence, publisher information in brackets is appended to Source Name in Footnote and Bibliography. The tag:data pairs of publisher information are left in tact.
- Military fact corresponding to FTM custom tag _MILT appears to have been correctly interpreted and a corresponding fact with associated information was added to corresponding individuals.
- There are examples of Research Note for a Citation for a fact being truncated as Edit Note display does not show full text as per original GEDCOM file. In FTM this information was known as Citation Detail which was translated into PAGE tag and payload for a citation. (Is there meant to be a size limit on PAGE payload length? Not specified in GEDCOM Standard.)
- LDS Initiatory Ordinance data corresponding to FTM custom tag _INIT appears to have been correctly interpreted and a corresponding fact with associated information was added to corresponding individuals.