GEDCOM from FTM to RM9

You might be thinking of the Family History Fanatics Youtube video that we talked about in Rootsmagic-Users. At that time, the link was unpublished but viewable, however now it is private. It is the one where Bruce talked about switching back to Delphi.

1 Like

bespoke = proprietary (either vendor that supplied coding language development platform or another tool maker that supplies to the platform vendor)

Delphi UI framework = library or libraries of logic that is supplied by vendor for use by developer to assemble and deliver the graphical user interface for application

Definitely looks like history repeating itself.

1 Like

Maybe if it is the programming tools causing such development hardships, they might consider freezing RM9 development in place and move to a new set of programming tools that will allow them to release a really nice RM10. I know that would take a couple of years at the current pace of development, but what’s a few more years on top of the RM8/RM9 muliti-year fiasco? They could start offering advanced sales now.:grin:

@Rwcrooks “but what’s a few more years on top of the RM8/RM9 muliti-year fiasco? They could start offering advanced sales now”

Yep, I understand the dark humour. Who knows the real level of frustration with end users or internally within the firm. I expect it is a very tough situation to be in but we will never really know given the proprietary nature of things. The dev hardships / challenges I expect to be multi-faceted too. Anyway, I don’t intend to contribute further on speculation and am just doubling down on prosecuting my own tool strategy given the state of affairs.

Oh what an appropriate low blow! Perhaps RM10 could come with a refund if you die before release. Missing development tools was the excuse used for years about the mac version but that had no effect on Heredis and macfamilytree etc coming out with frequent versions.