Adding multiple media to a citation/fact in one action

It would be really useful to be able to select multiple media files and add then to a citation/fact/person in one action.

Currently adding more than a couple of media items to a single citation/fact/person is incredibly cumbersome and inefficient as you have to add them one by one.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on how you would add the media Captions if you could do a ā€œmultiple addā€?

I hadnā€™t even considered that as the times I have wanted to do this I have been adding existing media, so all the captions etc were already added.

But there is no reason why your couldnā€™t just add the media with no captions and then click on each to add the captions etc. It would be no different to what you normally do except that you are only going through the steps to load the media once.

It would be really useful for at least one other reason: to delete files whose links are broken.

When I imported another researcherā€™s GEDCOM his 100s of media links came along for the ride. Unless he shares all his images too, thereā€™s no way the links can be repaired. Iā€™d love to be able to select all, then delete.

Ask him to send you a gedcom created without including media.

Thanks, great idea but too late now. I didnā€™t pay attention to media until Iā€™d already edited the imported data extensively.

Removing broken media links en masse is probably one of those bulk operations that RM Inc will never develop for fear that some users will use it mistakenly.

Outside of RM, you could come up with a procedure based on this: Media Files Status #filenames #media #links #broken ā€“ SQLite Tools for RootsMagic

FTM does this nicely with either drag and drop or copy paste of 1 or several media items of different file types. Very useful to get all new media for one person added to them and then link to each related fact/event. I had expected RM8 to do this also but not on Mac.

TomH:
Another reason to do backups at least daily.
I havenā€™t done coding in 50+ years, so I guess Iā€™m stuck.
Thanks anyway,
Bob

Just export the file to a new Gedcom and uncheck media links. You wonā€™t have them anymore.

Thank you, that is correct. Instead, all my previously merged identical citations are now disaggregated in the Source tab. A source I used 24 times in 4 unique citations now shows 24 individual citations. That was the second thing I checked for comparison, and a deal-breaker. Any suggestion for how to avoid that?

This is a non sequitur in this topic. Did you mean to answer in another discussion?

On second thought, it looks to me that you are replying to @Gpetranek 's suggestion re GEDCOM. The lack of any quote or direct reference to having followed it makes your reply appear out of context. So I have a different answer - it is working as designed.

On export, RM8 ā€œdisaggregatesā€ merged citations (reuses of a common citation) into individual citations because GEDCOM has no provision for them and they will be ignored by other software. So your import into a new RM8 database receives them as individual citations of the common master source. Provided the original 4 ā€˜masterā€™ citations are different from each other, on running RM8ā€™s Merge Duplicate Citations function, you should end up with 4 ā€˜masterā€™ citations, each reused 6 times (or whatever the original breakdown was). However, their Citation Names will not likely be the same as what you had originally because those values are not exported.

I donā€™t know if Merging unbreaks the deal for you because it or the export/import may have other undesired consequences for you. The merging might have merged citations that you donā€™t want merged. The export/import may have lost something of value to you:
https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/gedcom-dnd-transfer-losses/

Tom H:

On second thought, it looks to me that you are replying to @Gpetranek 's suggestion re GEDCOM. The lack of any quote or direct reference to having followed it makes your reply appear out of context. So I have a different answer - it is working as designed.

Thanks, youā€™re right, I was replying to @Gpetranek. I assumed that people who were following the thread would read the messages sequentially, and thereby know the context. Iā€™m still getting the hang of this forum, which works a bit differently from others Iā€™ve been on.

I appreciate your explanation. I donā€™t have an IT background or any knowledge of SQL, so the web site you provided is new to me. Iā€™m going to spend some time reading it because it looks like I can learn some things even with my limited tech skills.

Merging the duplicate citations was easier than I thought and the results look good, at least initially. So far I havenā€™t come across any other problems with the export/import.

Thanks again,
Bob