Puerto Rico not in USA?

I’m trying to put a 1939 place of “San Juan, Peurto Rico, United States”. … but I get “CountyCheck Suggestion” saying “Puerto Rico never existed in United States” !??

Puerto Rico has been a territory of Unites States since 1898.

What standardized place should I put for San Juan, Puerto Rico ? THANKS

Note: I tried to use Gazetter to chose a place, but it only has options which include “United States” (which I feel is correct).

Drop the United States as Puerto Rico is not a state and as such isn’t part of the United States. It doesn’t matter that it is a possession, it still a ‘country’, not part of another country. You may ‘feel’ it is correct, but it really isn’t. As I recall, it is officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Think in terms of the UK commonwealth countries, such as Canada and Australia. They are standalone countries.

I might be wrong but Puerto Rico is neither a state nor an independent country but is considered a territory (of USA). For that reason I guess this is a user call-- they are considered US Citizen although since they are NOT a state they cant vote…it can be confusing and complicated.I would probably go with the Gazetter for consistency but that does’t quite “feel right” either

1 Like

I went into my test database, turned on County Check and entered San Juan, Puerto Rico and Territory of San Juan, Puerto Rico – I did NOT get a County Check Suggestion for either–nor did they show up in a County Check report…

So then I went into another database that County Check was already turned on and put the same in–again no problems as long as I don’t put United States…

You can also use San Juan, Puerto Rico, Territory of the United States and it doesn’t balk at that…

other option is to turn County Check off in the settings-- either leave off permanently or turn it on every once and a while to run a report and turn it back off…