Book publisher second marriage issues

I am creating a genealogy book to memorialize my genealogy research. I am using the latest version of Roots Magic. I have an aunt whose first husband was actually my Kauffman blood relative but he died the year I was born. She remarried and I knew her and her second husband Bill for many decades until he passed and he was very much my “uncle”. I would like to include him in my book, but because my Aunt was not the blood relative, his information does not cross over from the roots magic tree into the book narrative in my Kauffman family line . Any ideas how to best include Bill in a narrative report of my Kauffman family? I do not want to create a narrative report for his family line separately as the only member of his family line that I would want to include. Thank you.

This is a really difficult problem without a good solution. I run into it on a regular basis. It gets into the question of are we doing genealogy vs. are we doing family history. I’m in the family history camp, which is the cause of the problem. Here are some highly imperfect solutions.

1. Use notes to describe the situation.
  2. Share the marriage for your aunt and her second husband Bill with your aunt. You will need to create a role with a meaningful sentence. The marriage of your aunt with her second husband Bill will now show up in your aunt’s timeline. Nothing else about Bill will show up, but you will have at least that much.
  3. Make another chapter in your book just for your aunt and Bill (the solution you already suggested and I think rejected).
  4. Make your book be a series of Family Group Sheets rather than being a narrative report. For the most part make Family Group Sheets just for blood relatives. But make an exception and also include a Family Group sheet for your aunt and her second husband Bill.
  5. I don’t really have a secret option #5, and I don’t like any of the first four options.

On thing I ask myself sometimes is how would I do this if I were using Microsoft Word as my genealogy software rather than using RM or one o its competitors as my genealogy software. I’m not even sure how I would include your aunt and her second husband Bill if I were using Microsoft Word. If I could figure out how to do it in Microsoft Word, then I could save my narrative report from RM as a DOCX file. Then I could edit the DOCX file with Microsoft Word or one of its competitors and add your cousin and her second husband Bill in the same way I would if I were using Microsoft Word in the first place. But that still begs the question of how I would want it to look in a book.

1 Like

this might be a good technique (work around really) for some other scenario for other users.

Thanks for the comments. For now I created a new Fact with information about second husband Bill under my Aunt timeline in Roots Magic that does show up in the publisher narrative report under her name. It will not allow Bill to be listed in the index, but I think this may be the best I can do given the limitations of the software.

I make very little use of RM’s shared fact feature, but there is one case where I use it in order to get somebody to show up in the report index. Namely, I have a Parents fact where I list a person’s parents in the Description field of the fact and where I attach evidence for a person’s parents. I decided to create the Parents fact because I couldn’t find any other good place to attach a citation for the evidence of who the person’s parents were.

I started out running my reports that way and my sentence template for the Parents fact included the [Desc] variable to print out the names of the parents. The body of the report was fine. But information in the Description field is just text and the names of the parents do not show up in the report index. So I removed the [Desc] variable from the sentence template for the Parents fact and I shared the Parents fact with each of the parents and I added the shared role to the sentence for the parents fact. As a result the name of the parents does show up in the report index. The sentence in the body of the report looks the same either way.

I did not remove the names of the parents from the Description field. One of my principles in using RM is to try to use it in such a way that as little data as possible is lost if I share my data with other genealogy software. A lot of other genealogy software does not support RM’s shared facts. So if my data is exported outside of RM, I might lose the shared facts for the parents and therefore I might lose something like a report index. But the names of the parents will still be in the Description field for the Parents fact and therefore will still be available in any genealogy software to which I might export my data. And most importantly, the citation for the evidence of the person’s parents will still be there in my exported data either way.

To make a long story short, you can add a role to your new Fact and share the role with Bill. Then you can adjust the sentence for the new fact to include the role, and Bill should show up in the report index.

1 Like